Inland Fisheries Ireland:
Guidelines for Anglers that suspect they have recaptured an escaped Farmed Salmon
1. Do not return the salmon to the water.
2. Tag the salmon with rod or commercial tags issued with your licence under the Wild Salmon and Sea Trout Regulations. (Blue, brown, red, white)
3. Contact IFI immediately and report where you caught the farmed salmon (estuary/river/lake).
4. Freeze the salmon whole and IFI will assist with the identification process.
5. If the Salmon is identified as a recaptured farm escaped salmon, your tag will be replaced.
Blackrock +353 1 2787022
Clonmel +353 52 6180055
Macroom +353 26 41221
Limerick +353 61 300238
Galway +353 91 563118
Ballina +353 96 22788
Ballyshannon +353 71 9851435
Please be advised that farmed salmon may be the subject of various treatments and may not be suitable for human consumption.
Signs that you may have caught a Farmed Salmon
3.Missing or Partial Gill Plates